Skip to main content

Jeremiad and the Sparrow

 

Deacon Ned Berghausen
St. Agnes
June 24/25, 2023
12th Sunday in Ordinary Time
https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/062523.cfm

If the psalm prays, pray. If it laments, lament. If it rejoices, rejoice. If it hopes, hope. If it fears, fear. For everything which is written here is a reflection of us. St. Augustine.

There is one book of the Bible that we hear at almost every single mass, both on Sundays and at daily mass with the exception of only four days of the year [where we hear canticles].  It is the longest book of the Bible.  Do you know what it is? 

It’s the Book of Psalms.  Today we heard Psalm 69 which we sung together, led by our cantor [name], in between our first and second reading.  It’s sometimes easy to miss or forget that these songs are Scripture, just as much as the other readings and the Gospel. 

When we approach the Bible, we may think of it primarily in terms of narrative stories, law codes and rule books, parables and proverbs, but Scripture is as much a hymnal as a history book.  Songs and music are a part of nearly every book of the Bible—it’s not just the Book of Psalms. 

We could think about the Bible as a kind Spotify playlist or if you are of an older generation a mix tape of songs.  What’s interesting is that we might expect for all of those songs to happy or joyful praise music, giving thanks to God.  There definitely are those songs to be sure.  But there is a complete mix of genres and themes: love songs, break-up songs, war songs, party music, music for working, playing, and celebrating. 

The most common type of song is actually a lament.  And we have two laments in our readings today.  Both the psalm (Psalm 69), and our first reading which is a lament from the prophet Jeremiah.  I want to focus for a minute on him.

Jeremiah lived in the 6th century before Christ and is sometimes called, “the weeping prophet.”  He was sent by God to preach repentance to the people of Jerusalem alongside a warning that if they didn’t quickly change course that their kingdom would be destroyed and their leading citizens carried off into exile in Babylon.

Jeremiah quickly realizes that the people of Judah are rejecting both his message and God and that the terror that he most fears is really going to transpire.  There is nothing he can do to prevent it.  Not only is he, Jeremiah, rejected, but the leads have him beaten and put in stocks.  Finally, he is thrown into an empty cistern to starve to death.  He does not die there, but lives to see Jerusalem destroyed and the king killed.

The prophet becomes so associated with laments, that a style of them, “the jeremiad” is named for him.  We do not get the beginning of the jeremiad in today’s readings, but I want to read it to you.  It’s shocking and raw.  Reflecting on his call as a prophet, Jeremiah cries to God,

You deceived me, LORD, and I let myself be deceived;
you were too strong for me, and you prevailed.
All day long I am an object of laughter;
everyone mocks me.
Whenever I speak, I must cry out,
violence and outrage I proclaim;
The word of the LORD has brought me
reproach and derision all day long.
I say I will not mention him,
I will no longer speak in his name.
But then it is as if fire is burning in my heart,
imprisoned in my bones;
I grow weary holding back,
I cannot!

You might be surprised to read an attack on God like this in Scripture, right?  Jeremiah laments that God every chose him to be a prophet and that he can’t help but speak the words that God puts in his heart.  He sees God as his enemy in this moment and he fully vents that anger to God.  If this lament were set to music, it might be death metal.  It’s certainly not something we expect played on a Christian radio station.  Not on “Positive and encouraging KLove.”  It’s important to remember that this rant against God is the Word of God.  There is something holy in Jeremiah’s complaint, in his anger, in salvo at the Almighty.  In fact, we hear no less than Jesus quote a lament from Psalms as he died on the cross,

“My God, My God, why have you forsaken me!” (Ps. 22:2).  Jesus prays these words.  He cries out these laments. 

Benedictine sister Irene Nowell writes, “We have all been trained not to complain to God; it is unthinkable to shout at God in anger.  This is where the laments come in.  They give us the words we would never dare say ourselves. (Remember, the psalms are first of all the Word of God!)”

The message for us is this: there is no human emotion that we can’t bring to God.  God wants us to give all of it to Him – the praise and joy as well as the anger and rage.  There is no human experience that cannot be made holy.  That cannot not be brought to the altar.  In becoming human, lamented with us and for us. 

Second, I would encourage you to pray the psalms.  They are both the prayer book and the song book of the church.  One of my great pleasures as a deacon is praying the liturgy of the hours, a traditional form of Catholic prayer in the morning and evening that are structured around the psalms.  The hours have become more accessible in the last few years.  I use an app called divineoffice.org to listen to a reading of the hours on my cell phone and also on my smart speaker.  Of course, the psalms can be found in older technologies like a paper Bible, too. 

Finally, I want to mention that laments in the Bible typically close with a message of hope and trust.  After fully presenting the psalmists complaint to God, she concludes with a sung offering of praise and thanksgiving.  That’s really the segment we heard in the first reading today. 

In that spirit, I would like to share lyrics from one of my favorite Gospel songs called “His Eye is On the Sparrow” that I heard frequently when I was a parishioner in a Black Catholic parish.  This song is inspired by Jesus’ words in today’s Gospel:

Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin?
Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge.
Even all the hairs of your head are counted.
So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

The song goes like this: 

Let not your heart be troubled,”

His tender word I hear,

And resting on his goodness,

I lose my doubts and fears;

Though by the path he leadeth,

But one step I may see;

His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know he watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know he watches me




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Trees of Christmas

Merrcy Christmas, Bellarmine. Since we are here in Our Lady of the Woods Chapel the university, I thought it would be appropriate to preach about trees tonight. The Christmas tree has become a central symbol of the holiday.   Bellarmine has a beautiful, evergreen up on the quad that’s at least 50 feet tall.   Every Advent, it is strung up with lights and the university hosts a lighting event every year in late November.   Kate and I have taken our kids there the last few years.   We have some wonderful pictures of our kids’ faces lit up by both the lights and with joy at looking at the tree.   Last year, our oldest, EJ, got to help Dr. Donovan flip the magic switch that illuminated the tree.   It’s well known that German pagans worshipped oak trees before they became Christians and this might have something to do with the tradition.   However, they rapidly transformed the Christmas tree into a symbol of Christ, who is ever green. Who is a source of life even in the dead of winter

Jesus' Hard Sayings

                          Jesus’ Hard Sayings  Twenty First Sunday in Ordinary Time Cycle B  August 19/20, 2021 https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/082221.cfm Good morning / afternoon, St. Agnes. It’s been a long first full week of classes for me—and I am sure for all of you who are parents, teachers, and students. I just started my 17th year as a teacher. [This is my first at Assumption High School where I teach Theology]. I have been reflecting this month on an early experience I had as a student teacher preparing for my first classroom. I was up at the University of Notre Dame in an Education class. The professor was legendary educator named Dr. Thomas Doyle who everyone called “Doc.” He grouped all of us student-teachers by subject matter around tables. So, I was working on a problem with several other new Theology teachers when Doc came to talk to us. He said something I’ll never forget: “You Theology teachers have a great responsibility.” He gestured to another table

The Catholic Church Alone Can Break the Color Line

  The great Catholic Church … is the only place on this Continent where rich and poor, white and black, must drop prejudice at the threshold and go hand in hand to the altar. The Catholic Church alone can break the color line. There could be no greater factor in solving the race problem than that matchless institution whose history for 1900 years is but a continual triumph  over all assailants.     --Daniel Rudd, Black Catholic journalist from Bardstown, Kentucky [consolidated quotes from his newspaper the  American Catholic Tribune ]   One of the beautiful things about being Catholic is our church transcends the divisions of country, nation, and race.  Even on the small scale of our archdiocese, we have members who are rural and urban, English speaking and Spanish.  It comprises those born here and born afar, including priests and religious from India and Africa and Asia.  This Church is a model of a new country, a new society, a new kingdom that breaks down human barriers, united as