Skip to main content

I Have Learned the Secret

Thanksgiving Prayer Service Reflection at Mercy Academy during an all school prayer service in the gym.  This is the first "lay reflection" I ever gave.   Offered on Nov 25, 2008.

https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/112819-thanksgiving.cfm

Good morning, Mercy, and an early Happy Thanksgiving to you.  

I have had the great fortune over the last 7 years to celebrate Thanksgiving in many different places and in many different circumstances around the world.  In fact, looking back at this period in my life, I realized that I haven’t spent a turkey day in the same place two years in a row.  Some of my Thanksgivings past have been pretty glamorous, and I’ll start by sharing some of those with you:

In 2001, I was on a train to the Artic Circle in Finland for a weekend of skiing, saunas, hiking in winter wonderlands, and visiting Santa Claus’ “real” home in the North Pole.  That’s right, I got to meet Santa, his reindeer, the elves… the works.  I celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday by eating turkey sandwiches with some of my new European friends on the way up. 

In 2003, I had a Thanksgiving feast at an American Embassy club in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, a country I spent two and a half years in as a Peace Corps volunteer.  Besides having some great American comfort food, I also got to meet the ambassador and several other dignitaries.  It was really cool.  I felt like I was in a James Bond movie. 

In 2005, I celebrated Thanksgiving at 18,000 feet above sea level on a high mountain pass.  That year, I was in Nepal in the Himalaya Mountains trekking around the 8th highest mountain in the world.  I don’t remember what I ate that day, likely as not it was rice and lentils.  I won’t however, forget the majestic views and that moment in my life when I was closest to heaven. 

Yes, these were some truly incredible and powerful experiences, and at this time of year, with Thanksgiving approaching, I realize that I have an enormous amount to be thankful for. 

Yet despite these great adventures, there has been another side to my travels, one that isn’t so glamorous.  In my two and a half years in the Peace Corps, I experienced frequent periods of deep isolation and loneliness.  My family and friends, and indeed everyone I ever knew was on the other side of the planet, literally a world way.  Even when I was having a good time, there were moments when I would have traded it all for a hug from my brother Joe. 

No matter what you’re doing or where you are in this week in November, you can’t help but think of your family.  I’ve spent four Thanksgivings away from them.  Even amidst the greatest heights in the world, I deeply felt their absence.   

You know, as a Peace Corps volunteer, I lived very modestly, emulating the poverty of the people of Bangladesh.  My goal was to teach English and to help whoever I could however I could.  I was surprised to find, however, that more often than not, it was actually Bangladeshis who helped me.  It was quite common to have a stranger approach me in the market with a cup of tea, or to invite me to their house to meet their family and to feed me.  Despite their poverty, the people of Bangladesh are incredibly generous, and friendly to a fault.  I found that those who have little, rather than hoarding that little, are happy to share their gifts, even with those who have more than they do. 

In the United States, we are the top of the list in so many fields: we have biggest economy in the world.  The biggest military.  One of the freest and best governments. Some of the best education and longest life expectancy.

Bangladesh, by contrast, is top of plenty of lists that you wouldn’t want to be on: most corrupt country in the world.  Most overpopulated.  It’s one of the worst places to do business, and life expectancy is 20 years younger than in our country. 

Yet, despite these vast differences, according to surveys of people in our two countries, Bangladeshis rate among the happiest people on earth, while Americans are consistently discontent.  I don’t know what accounts for these differences in subjective feelings, but when I examine my own happiness through the lens of my travels, I find myself looking to the words of Saint Paul.

Paul was another world traveler who frequently found himself jumping from feast to famine and back again.  He wrote,

I've learned to be content in whatever situation I'm in.  I know indeed how to live in poverty; I know also how to live with prosperity. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need.   I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.   (Philippians 4:11-13)

Mercy, I challenge you today with the words we heard proclaimed earlier from another of Paul’s letters:

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.   Do not put out the Spirit's fire;

God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Trees of Christmas

Merrcy Christmas, Bellarmine. Since we are here in Our Lady of the Woods Chapel the university, I thought it would be appropriate to preach about trees tonight. The Christmas tree has become a central symbol of the holiday.   Bellarmine has a beautiful, evergreen up on the quad that’s at least 50 feet tall.   Every Advent, it is strung up with lights and the university hosts a lighting event every year in late November.   Kate and I have taken our kids there the last few years.   We have some wonderful pictures of our kids’ faces lit up by both the lights and with joy at looking at the tree.   Last year, our oldest, EJ, got to help Dr. Donovan flip the magic switch that illuminated the tree.   It’s well known that German pagans worshipped oak trees before they became Christians and this might have something to do with the tradition.   However, they rapidly transformed the Christmas tree into a symbol of Christ, who is ever green. Who is a source of life even in the dead of winter

Jesus' Hard Sayings

                          Jesus’ Hard Sayings  Twenty First Sunday in Ordinary Time Cycle B  August 19/20, 2021 https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/082221.cfm Good morning / afternoon, St. Agnes. It’s been a long first full week of classes for me—and I am sure for all of you who are parents, teachers, and students. I just started my 17th year as a teacher. [This is my first at Assumption High School where I teach Theology]. I have been reflecting this month on an early experience I had as a student teacher preparing for my first classroom. I was up at the University of Notre Dame in an Education class. The professor was legendary educator named Dr. Thomas Doyle who everyone called “Doc.” He grouped all of us student-teachers by subject matter around tables. So, I was working on a problem with several other new Theology teachers when Doc came to talk to us. He said something I’ll never forget: “You Theology teachers have a great responsibility.” He gestured to another table

The Catholic Church Alone Can Break the Color Line

  The great Catholic Church … is the only place on this Continent where rich and poor, white and black, must drop prejudice at the threshold and go hand in hand to the altar. The Catholic Church alone can break the color line. There could be no greater factor in solving the race problem than that matchless institution whose history for 1900 years is but a continual triumph  over all assailants.     --Daniel Rudd, Black Catholic journalist from Bardstown, Kentucky [consolidated quotes from his newspaper the  American Catholic Tribune ]   One of the beautiful things about being Catholic is our church transcends the divisions of country, nation, and race.  Even on the small scale of our archdiocese, we have members who are rural and urban, English speaking and Spanish.  It comprises those born here and born afar, including priests and religious from India and Africa and Asia.  This Church is a model of a new country, a new society, a new kingdom that breaks down human barriers, united as